Rutland Daily Herald, Wed. Morning, August 22, 1945

Naturalizations Cases Taken Up at Session of District Court in Rutland

Thirty-seven persons were admitted to citizenship yesterday by Judge James P. Leamy at a session of United States District Court held at the post office building.

The names of the new citizens, their residences and the countries of their births are as follows:

August C. Bredemeyer, Fair Haven, Germany;  Leopold H. Gibeault, Whiting, Canada;  Blanche Greenberg, Manchester Center, Poland, name changed to Blanche Shirley Greenberg;  Morris Greenberg, Manchester Center, Poland;  Margaret B. Welsh, Arlington, Ireland;  George A. C. Holt, Bennington, Canada;  Eva M. McDonald, Manchester Center, Scotland;  Lily A. Fisher, Manchester Center, Scotland;  Martha E. Hard, Manchester Depot, Canada;  Brigid Fanning (Sister St. Edward), Brattleboro, Canada;  Fanny M. Maki, Mount Holly, Finland;  Karl F. Maki, Mount Holly, Finland;  John Saltus, North Poultney, Czechoslovakia;  Mary A. Morony (Sister Mary Malachy), Rutland, Ireland.

Also Anne Greer (Sister Mary Ralphael), Rutland, Ireland;  Hannah Regan (Sister Mary Lawrence) Rutland, Ireland;  Marie A. Boutin (Sister Mary DeSales), Rutland, Canada;  Norah Moroney (Sister St. Michael), Rutland, Ireland;  Rose Bracken (Sister May Agnes), Rutland, Ireland; Lucy A. McCormick (Sister Mary Xavier), Rutland, England  Bridget Moroney (Sister Mary Brigid), Rutland, Ireland;  Mary Finnane (Sister Mary Margaret), Rutland, Ireland;  Julia Macek, Proctor, Czechoslovakia;  Andrew Macek, Proctor, Czechoslavakia;  Fern C. Mazzariello, Rutland, Canada;  Zofia Antoniewicz, Cavendish, Poland;  Wincenty Razunoskas, West Rutland, Lithuania;  Lilja L. Lampinen, Ludlow, Finland;  Robert J. Ellis, Poultney, Wales;  Margaret Johnes, Poultney, Wales;  Stewart J. Prentice, Middlebury, Canada, named changed to James Stuart Prentice;  Kalle R. Pohjonen, Andower, Finland;  Marie J. C. Conant, Bennington, Canada;  Verlie K. Vaughan, Poultney, Bermuda;  Ebba S. Caarn, Manchester, Denmark;  Hendryk Sieicki, West Rutland, Poland;  Olga M. Pharlton, Benson, Canada.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]


Rutland Herald, Monday August 10, 1874

The inhabitants of one part of West Rutland enjoyed themselves very much yesterday. In fact they had a real nice lively enjoyable time, such as come only once in a long time in this community where the popular idea of Irish enjoyment is rather discouraged.
The affair to which we refer took place in that part of the West side known as Rebel Hill, a settlement back of the Catholic church and reached from the main highway by the worst road ever traveled by man (my note- Pleasant St).
The first cause of the little party was a small quarrel between two children, about 10 a.m. In the course of the dispute, John Dorsey, the father of one of the boys, stepped out of his house and took a hand in, his
only action being to shake or slap the child of James Gallagher, who was the other party to the dispute. The youngster ran to his father and the latter came out and asked Dorsey what was the reason of his conduct. Dorsey did not apologize or justify his act, but rather wanted to know what Gallagher was going to do about it. The latter did not explain; in fact he did not get a chance to because a very disconcerting stone came in contact with his head and felled him to the ground.
At once all was confusion; Mrs. Gallagher rushed out to help her husband and most of the other inhabitants of the houses near by joined in the enjoyment.
The result being anything but pleasant to a quiet individual. A crowd was, of course, collected at once, and an extended riot was imminent. Not content with sticks and stones, pistols were produced but not used except in one case where a too enthusiastic boy had his taken away from him and fired in the air by an older member of the party.
After some time most of the party had become satisfied with the enjoyment and had made up their minds to quit just about that time Dr. Lorenzo Sheldon, Grand Juror and Harley G. Sheldon, Deputy Sheriff made their
appearances on the scene. By the efforts of these two the impending riot was averted and the fighting which had been pretty fierce, was closed up or degenerated into a mere war of words.
In the counting up of damage which was entered into it was found that comparatively a few had suffered severe injuries, but several were slightly bruised or wounded. Mr. Gallagher was found to have received several severe
scalp wounds and some other smaller injuries. Mrs. Gallagher was found to have been bruised considerably. She also received a cut on her head and a wound in the back. Dr. Hanrahan was called and under his skilful treatment she was partially recovered last evening and will probably get well.
August 11, 1874 Rutland Herald
On yesterday Dr. Sheldon, Grand Juror, caused the arrest of the principal parties to Sunday's fight on Rebel Hill and five persons were brought before J. E. Leonard at the school house near the Catholic Church. These were John Dorsey, William Gallagher, and his son of the same name, Barney Conlan and his wife (my great great grandfather and grandmother Ann Radigan Conlan) and John Raleigh, the latter charged with conveying some liquor.
It is concluded to postpone the trials until this morning.
The row proves, on investigation, to have been even more serious an affair than was indicated in our report of yesterday. William Gallagher was found to have five cuts on his head, any one of which would have been a dangerous wounds. Barney Conlan, another participant, received a large triangular cut on his scalp which was a reasonable cause for laying by; his wife was also cratched and bruised and his son considerably cut. Several others were also injured. but in less degree.
Dr. Hanrahan was pretty busy all day patching, sewing and plastering and he may fairly be said to be the only man who profited by the affray. Taken altogether it was a nice affair, but the participants will not fully
appreciate the whole beautify of it until they get through with the law proceedings.
The last scene of Sunday night's row on Rebel Hill was enacted on yesterday before Mr. J. E. Leonard, Justice of the Peace. It consisted in fining the three principal parties to the row $20, each and costs for a breach of peace. The sufferers under the legal act were John Dorsey, James Gallagher and Barney Conlan. The wives and children of each were not considered in the award of premiums. beside the fines each of the three named were put under bonds of $200 to keep the peace.
We learn that all of the injured parties to the affray are nearly recovered and that all the men were able to go to work yesterday excepting Gallagher who will be laid by for a day or two yet.
This is the end of the Rutland Herald article. The Rutland town report for the year of 1874 reflects the following:
Barney Conlin Jr. fined $3.00 Costs $12.56, charge of Assault, plea guilty,
eventually paid $10
Ann Conlin fined $3.00, costs $4.80, plea guilty
John Conlin, fined $3.00, $3.29 costs, plea guilty
According to the city records, Barney Conlin "Sr" was not charged, nor did he pay a fine as listed in the last part of the article above.
4-26-1875 , another fight on Rebel Hill, this time Barney, Ann and Barney Jr
all charged with Assault, charges dropped against Barney the father, cost $5.52 for him, plea "nolle pros" for Ann and Barney Jr., fees $4.10 and $5.27
paid in court

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]


John Cain of Rutland was a talented immigrant from the Isle of Man who came to Rutland in 1832. He was an architect, surveyor, editor of a weekly newspaper, postmaster, as well as town moderator. However, John's outspoken Democratic views in a Republican town and state often placed him at odds with many community leaders. In 1857 new railroad engines were being named. John apparently wanted one to bear his name but knew that he had little chance of securing that honor by his own request. The following letter is a most interesting attempt to circumvent his lack of popularity with the right people.

Rutland Nov. 18th 1857

C. C. Holden, Esq.

Dear Sir,

Enclosed I send you a letter which I wish you would copy in your hand writing & on a larger sheet of paper & get as many of your friends to sign it as you can & sign it yourself & enclose it in a sealed envelope by mail to E. A. Chapin Esq., Superintendent of R. & B. Railroad, Rutland, Vt.

If you do this, I do not want any body to see these letters of mine, in my handwriting, but you burn them up. If you could get on a dozen or twenty names & send it to Chapin as early as tomorrow's mail I would be glad. As I think they will name the engine in a few days.

I do not wish the least hint thrown out that I have any hand in this.

You know what I want is that you act as if all was voluntarily on your part & I will endeavor to reciprocate someway & sometime.

Respectfully yours,

John Cain

P.S. Try and send it in tomorrow.

John Cain

P.S. Try and send it in tomorrow.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]


Rutland Playhouse - 1913

Plans for the new Rutland Playhouse were ready and bids for construction to start in the summer of 1913 had been issued. The following item from the Rutland Daily Herald of June 11th 1913 identifies the contractor selected to build the edifice.

The contract for the erection of the new opera house on Center Street at the site formerly occupied by the Morse Livery Stable has been let [granted] to Frederick H. Remington, the smallest of six offers [lowest bid] to George T. Chaffee, owner of the building.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]


West Rutland 5/9/1889 Rutland Herald

Thomas Casey and Joseph Young, two young men who acquired a knowledge of machinery in the quarries here, where they were born and educated, have excellent positions as engineers on the Railroad centering at Grand Forks, Dakota.

Several Jewish peddlers rendezvous to this village where they have a large wareroom for the storage and sorting of rags. Several women are employed in picking over their merchandise.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

11-13-1891 Rutland Daily Herald Friday

Duffy and Clifford's New Building 1891

Duffy and Cllifford have built some temporary coal sheds near John Welch's coal yard on West Street.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

11-18-1891 Rutland Daily Herald

Mr. Ramo's Domestic Troubles
Maxim Ramo, who was arrested Monday for assaulting his wife, was tried before Judge Butler yesterday.
Ramo told a sorrowful tale of domestic unhappiness and it was evident that he regarded marriage a failure. He said that his wife had tried to shoot him and had also tried to get rid of him by giving him fly powder. He had also done his part towards getting himself out of the way, for he had tried to hang himself but the rope broke. Mrs. Ramo then told her story and it was supported by several witnesses. The Judge fined Ramo $13.51 and gave him some good advice.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]


Mullaney Carriage Accident 11/9/1891

Rutland Daily Herald
West Rutland News
Thomas Mullaney and wife were thrown from their carriage on Pleasant Street Sunday morning by their horse becoming frightened and running away. The horse was stopped on Clarendon Avenue. Mr. Mullaney's hip was severely injured.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

9-29-1891 Rutland Daily Herald

9-29-1891 West St Cemetery Desecrated

Cemetery Desecrated , Work of a Lawless Gang on West Street

The conduct of some persons who visit the West Street Cemetery evenings has attracted the attention of people who have residences and iron mills and factories in that vicinity.  Men, women and 16 year old boys and girls have been seen recently at the northern corner of the cemetery late in the evening, hidden from public view, drinking beer and liquor, playing cards and carrying on all kinds of mischief.  It was but a short time ago that this gang of loafers kindled a fire that grew to such proportions that it endangered the new planing mill.

One night in the later part of last week, the gang began the work of mutiliating , disfiguring and breaking tombstones and monuments.  The headstones and monuments belonging to the following named families were destroyed or disfigured:

  1. French; Charles Fay Burt;  C. L. Williams;  Daniel C. Fisher; Gen. F. W. Hopkins; T.L. Fiske; Thaddeus Pratt; Dike; Abel Cook; and George W. Allen.  Many other stones were more or less defaced.

George White and others have been to see the Chairman of the selectmen, regarding the matter and Mr. Wardwell assured them that immediate steps would be taken to protect the cemetery from being made a rendezvous for lawless persons.  Mr. White will ask the selectmen for permission to cut down the small elms and shrubbery in the NW end of the grounds and by doing this the gang will be deprived of a hiding place.

The law pertaining to desecration of cemeteries is severe, a heavy fine and imprisonment and many people feel that some steps should be taken to punish the offenders.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

10-6-1866 Rutland Independent

10-6-1866 Police Court News

Police Court
Timothy Hogan was last week fined by Justice Smith $5.00 and costs for being drunk. Frank Moreman was also fined $5.00 and costs for being drunk. Frank Moreman was also fined for obtaining money under false pretenses.
Flannery, who assaulted Mr. Richardson on Friday evening of last week was prosecuted on Saturday by States Attorney Bromley and placed under bonds too appear for trial at the term of the County Court March next.

James McEney, a person of weak intellect, about 21 years old, left his home in Pittsford on Wednesday Oct.3, has been traced to Rutland. The last seen of him was on Wednesday evening about 11 o'clock, a few doors down below the old Huntoon since which time no trace can be found.
He had on a straw hat, a light colored vest, red shirt and old pants and answers to the name of "Jim". Any information in regard to him will be thankfully received by addressing his father Thomas MeEnny (sic) or Dr. Peabody, Pittsford, Vt.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

10-1866 Rutland Independent


10-1866 A Raving Maniac

A young man Williams from Fair Haven, about 25 years of age, who has been insane for a few days past, was brought to Rutland yesterday by his mother to consult Dr. Goldsmith in regard to his condition. The physician was not at home, and the mother returned to the railroad station with him to wait for the six o'clock train. Coming down Washington street, Williams fell, cutting a bad gash on his forehead over the right eye. Dr. Allen saw him in the railroad station and he thought the young man was insane.

While waiting in the station, a friend, who, like Williams is a Welshman, approached to speak to him, upon which, the unfortunate man went into a paroxysm of raving. He was taken to the station house and put in one of the cells. There he tore the bunk to pieces and danced on it, raving and maundering meanwhile and not recognizing his own relatives. At one time he would sing religious songs . The next he would assume a pugilistic attitude and challenge an imaginary John L. Sullivan to melt him. He was confined to the station house all night and this morning will be taken to the insane asylum in Brattleboro.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

Rutland Daily Herald

6/26/1937 Railroad Accident

Rutland Daily Herald
June 26.1937
Locomotive Crushes Conductor's Feet
Rutland Man Injured at Burlington as Engine Jumps Tracks

David Keefe of 22 Hopkins street, Rutland, is in a serious condition at DeGoesbriand hospital here suffering from shock and injuries sustained yesterday when a Rutland railroad switch engine left the rails and passed over both his feet.

Keefe, Rutland railroad conductor was standing on the front platform of the engine at the time of the accident officials said. When the switcher left the rails, Keefe was thrown directly in front of the locomotive and both feet were crushed before it could be halted.

At the hospital Keefe was treated by Dr. P. E. McSweeney, who said his left foot was badly cut on top and there was a fracture of the big one. The physician said no bones of the right foot were fractured.

J. T. Thompson of Rutland was the engineer operating the switcher. No damage to the track resulted, the engine having been lifted back into place within half an hour.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

Rutland Daily Herald 1-5-1903

1-5-1903 Body Found in Quarry

Body Found in Quarry
Mysterious Death of a West Rutland Man Saturday Night

The body of Patrick McGarry was found yesterday morning abut 10 O'clock in the new opening of the Albertson Quarry, about one and one-half miles north of West Rutland, with a gash five inches long at the back of his head. Considerable mystery surrounds the affair, as the death must have occurred on Saturday night and no explanation can be given as to what the man was doing near the quarry at that hour. Suicide and even foul play have been suggested, but it is generally believed to have been an accident.
Mr. McGarry was in this city Saturday night and returned to West Rutland on the electric car, leaving the Merchants row switch at 10 o'clock Upon reaching West Rutland, he went into J. B. Gibson's barber shop and got shaved. He seemed to be alright at that time.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

Rutland Daily Herald 5-31-1877

The Accident at Dorset 5-31-1877

The Accident in Dorset
As a large block of marble was being raised in Friedley’s marble mill in East Dorset, Monday afternoon, the guy of the derrick broke, resulting in the death of John Kelley and severe injuries to Jeremiah Sweeny and another man. Several others narrowly escaped.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

Rutland Daily Herald 10-21-1876

10-21-1876 Accident at Danby

Accident at Danby
John Donovan, a brakeman on Conductor Scriven’s train, due here at 8:40 p.m. over the Harlem Extension, was seriously injured at Danby yesterday afternoon. He got down between two freight cars while the train was on the switch, to remove the shackle pin for the purpose of leaving a car on the sidetrack. When he removed the pin the train started up suddenly and threw him upon the track. Three cars passed over over him before he could be rescued. When picked up it was apparent he was seriously injured but to what extent could not then be ascertained.

Dr. Whipple of Danby was called to attend him and thought it would be necessary to amputate one of his legs. As soon as possible he was placed on the train and brought to Rutland accompanied by Dr. Whipple. Arrived here Dr. Hanrahan was called to attend him and he called in consultation Dr. Pond. The young man was taken to his home, where he now lies in a very critical condition. The physicians found on extremities the the muscles and tissues of both legs from the knees up were crushed and bruised to a jelly but no bones were broken.

A latest accounts he had not rallied from the shock and it was impossible to tell what might be the result of his injuries; but in any case they are serious. The physicians were unable to tell last night whether he was injured internally or not.

[su_divider divider_color="#b01414"]

Rutland Herald City News 1/8/1877

Mr. James B. Fitzgerald's dwelling house, in the east part of the town, near the Mendon line, was burned between five and six o'clock Saturday afternoon. Mr. Fitzgerald and his wife were in the village at the time and the fire was discovered by a teamster passing in the road. The kitchen, where the fire probably caught, was then in flames and the house was destroyed. Little was saved. M

Johnny Skiddy, a boy about sixteen years old, who lives on Gouger Hill, was arrested Saturday night at the depot on the arrival of the Saratoga train. He had been visiting friends in Glens Fall, N.Y. and having stolen a sum of money, started for home. The officers, being apprised of these facts by telegraph, met him and he was lodged in jail. Nine dollars and seventy-five cents in money were found on his person and he confessed the theft immediately. He will probably be taken to Vergennes.