Internal Collections & How to Search Them
The Rutland Historical Society is not a county society but services the area of the "old" Town of Rutland which today includes the City of Rutland and the towns of Proctor, Rutland, and West Rutland. Our collections focus on these towns and the majority are located on the second floor of our historic Nickwackett Fire Station building. Upon request, materials are available for use.
We have created these Finding Aid lists to help search our collections that are accessible to the public upon visiting.
For assistance using these aids: Finding Aid User Guide
These finding aids cover a wide range of our collections, but often within those collections is information that has not been cataloged.
An abbreviated list of our Collections NOT on our website:
- Cemetery inscription books for Rutland County
- Rutland City public school records (about 1899-1963)
- Periodical collections such as Vermont Life, The Vermonter, and Vermont History.
- Business ledgers, hotel registers, account books
- church records & minutes
- Evergreen Cemetery records
- Organization minute books
- Rutland Court Records (1870's to 1960's)
- Rutland Herald bound volumes (early 1800's to 2005)
- diaries, journals and collections of letters
- genealogical files
- numerous maps
- hundreds of books
- thousands of photos
- thousands of document folders
- numerous scrapbooks
- numerous photo albums and photo collections
- various artifacts